I'd like to share with you now some of my drawings from the course. I've put them in chronological order in order to document my progress which I think is very apparent from my first and final pieces.
I wasn't very adept at using charcoal for shading at first,
resulting in this overly darkened drawing.
This particular model had a terrible time of
keeping his eyes open as he was falling in
and out of a doze. I ultimately had to make a
decision about his eyes which unfortunately
resulted in his looking a little dopey.
After an entire day of drawing from this
particular model I finally got around to
capturing his actual likeness, much to the
pleasure of my teacher who was particularly
fond of this one.
This drawing was done last week and took 4 hours,
as a kind of preparation for our final 6 hours pose
the following week. I had a very difficult time
trying to make my models not look "dead".
This was my final project for the course. Sorry for
the graininess-- this photo was taken in poor lighting
and in closed-in quarters which didn't allow me much
room for stepping back and capturing the entire size
of this 4x6' panel (!)-- the largest I've ever worked to
date. We had to prime our surface with 2 coats of
gesso prior to the class and also coat the entire surface
with a watered down acrylic ground. I laid down a
wash of ultramarine blue and raw umber which worked
out very well for me as the placement of the colours
corresponded well with the pose we were given. I used
white conte to lighten the model's flesh. Our instructor
had laid out some random objects, including a fake
Canadian goose which I later realised was haply positioned
at quite the strategic point, none of which was done intentionally
but worked out to subtle comedic effect.